Thursday, July 1, 2010

Precious Memories

Ever since we moved four hours away from all of our family, the girls have looked forward to summertime. Yes, they have adjusted well and have friends and we're happy here, but to them Oklahoma is still home. They often talk about moving back and being closer to family. They're Sooners, what can I say?! ;) Anyway, when school breaks for the summer, they always retreat back to Oklahoma and we rarely see them.

Some people can't even begin to imagine what that's like. They're either flabbergasted we could survive that long without our girls, or they're overwhelmed with the mere thought of some "freedom". It's quite hilarious to see people's reaction. To me, though, it's a time of reconnecting. Brandon and I get a lot of quality time. And since we had three month old babies when we got married, we always look at this as our newlywed phase, if you will. Want a midnight run to Sonic? Sure! Why? Because we CAN! :) But even as Bran and I are reconnecting, the girls are strengthening their relationships too. They have the opportunities to make memories they probably would've still made if we lived closer, but they aren't as quick to take them for granted. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

While the girls love their Oklahoma time, they are required to come back to The Natural State for certain events. The first being Vacation Bible School. I have very vivid memories of VBS growing up and remember a lot of the songs. Brandon and I thought it was very important for them to come home and attend our church's VBS this year. The theme was Saddle Ridge Ranch and we knew the girls would absolutely love it! I mean, horses? Come on! That's right up their alley. What we didn't know was how significant this VBS would be.

After four the fourth night we were all a little exhausted. We had been swimming every afternoon, coming home and getting cleaned up and fed, and then heading out for Bible school. On Thursday night, though, the girls were unusually restless. Caylee began telling me all about some fears and insecurities she has. While it was painful to hear, I am so thankful she feels she can talk to me. I tried reassuring her through my own words, but it wasn't until we began talking about Jesus did things begin to take a sudden turn in a different direction.

Our girls have been in church since they were nine days old. They have been covered in prayer since before they were born. They know the stories and they know the motions. But on that Thursday night, June 17, 2010, things began to click for them in a way it hadn't before. I was telling Caylee all about Jesus being with us always (Deuteronomy 31:6) and when we become a Christian He comes and lives inside of us (Romans 8:10-12). Friends, it was as if the lightbulb of faith had been turned on. Everything they had been learning was all of the sudden beginning to make sense.

Baylee joined us on Cay's bed and we had the sweetest talk about heaven (Psalm 103:19) and hell (Luke 12:5), salvation (Acts 4:12), the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38, Romans 5:5) and what it means to be a Christian. I had this overhwelming feeling that something eternal was about to happen. And Praise the Lord, it did.

After and hour and a half talk, and her heart poured out, my dear sweet Baylee admitted she was a sinner (Romans 3:23), believed in His death, burial, and resurrection (Romans 5:8), and confessed her need for Him to come into her heart (Romans 10:9) at 11:47 p.m. It was the most sincere and precious prayer I have ever heard. And the smile she had afterwards is one I will never forget. She walked into my room, tapped her daddy on the shoulder (he had been asleep and had no clue what was going on in the other room. Ha!) and said "Daddy, I'm a Christian". Oh, it just feels my heart with joy to relive that moment when he embraced not only his daughter, but his sister in Christ. Amazing.

Caylee doesn't think she is quite ready yet, and that's okay. I know there will be a day when the angels will rejoice over her salvation. We are praying that she is sensitive to the Spirit's call and will trust Him with her heart. What a precious day will be when our family is complete and will spend eternity together!!!

And so this summer will hold not only the memories of fishing and swimming and late nights with Grammy and Grampy, but it will also be the summer Baylee can always look back on as the time when she became a new creation in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Praise the Lord!

Friends, if there is even one of you reading this now, and you don't know Christ as your personal Savior, please know you have been prayed for and that He longs for a relationship with you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a precious story Cari. I teared up reading it. I think it's great they spend their summers here, and you and Brandon get that much needed alone time that you deserve!! I really admire you and the life you live. You have the sweetest little family:) Love you!!

Amber said...

What a fantastic post and exciting time to share with us!

Erin said...

Such a sweet post about your girls. Made me weepy. :)

one of nettie's girls said...

It's wonderful that you have documented that night. How sweet.

Lori said...

I cried!! HOW WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!