Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Year in review

This has been quite a year. God never ceases to amaze me as He is so gracious to our family. Compared to years past, this was a quiet year. We were blessed with a peaceful year as we continued o adjust to life here in Arkansas. Someone told me the other day that I looked different. They asked if I was pregnant, there was apparently some sort of glow. But I'm not and I know what it was they were seeing. It was happiness. It was love of life. I can honestly say this is the happiest I have ever been.

Here are some of the highlights from the past year:

1. Forgiveness
Early in 2008 I was able to finally release all the guilt I had been holding in. I carried it around for seven years and I finally let it go. It is so freeing to not be ashamed. Praise the Lord for the people He put in my path to get me to this point!

2. Crazy Arkansas weather
We had a nice amount of snow that fell on March 1. It made the girls laugh so hard that our one and only snowfall was in March. We had a snowball fight, made a snowman, and laughed, laughed, laughed. We also spent many nights watching tornadoes. There were tornadoes all around our town this year, but we were always sparred. 

3. Friends
We have been so blessed. God has brought some amazing people into our lives. We aren't just acquaintances anymore, but we have formed lifelong friendships with some dear people. We laughed, hosted parties in our homes, and made wonderful memories. We also mourned over miscarriages and grieved with dear friends who lost a baby at birth while her twin sister held on to life in the NICU. Through it all, God brought us all closer together.

4. Horse camp
I never imagined I would be the mother of horse lovers, but I am. The girls went to a week long horse camp and loved every minute of it. They learned to ride Western and English, shoveled poop, cleaned stalls, and loved on all the horses. They would live there if I let them.

5. Summer in Oklahoma for the girls 
They learned to ride their bike on Grandpa's three acres. What an accomplishment! Now they're riding fools! They helped Dad take care of Grandma Arnold and Mom take care of Grandma Faye. Such sweet memories they will have. Fishing with Grandpa and of course swimming every day. If only Grammy would let them get her hair wet!

6. School
This was the first year the girls were able to return to the same school that they left in August. And what a blessing that was! It definitely made the first day of school much easier. 

7. New rides
We were able to get a new van this year - a dream of mine had finally been fulfilled! We said good-bye to our sweet Blackie - the vehicle the girls grew up in. I cried as we took our final ride in him. I looked at my seven year old girls and saw them in their car seats all those years ago. The milk stains on the fabric say it all.

8. Mexico
Brandon took his first plane ride and it was an international flight. He enjoyed his time and savored every bite of food. He fell in love with the mountains and brought us back some amazing goodies. (Mexican cheese!)

As this year comes to a close, I'm excited to see what 2009 holds. 

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."  ~Ephesians 3:20-21

2 comments:

Erin said...

Aw, good post. Isn't the greatest feeling when new acquaintances suddenly morph into true friends? That was one of our biggest blessings when we moved away from family. Truly a gift.

Pleasant Living said...

what a year! I'm so glad that life is sweet for you. Finding joy in your circumstances is a true gift!