Saturday, November 21, 2009

To my sister

Hey, Brenna -

Remember when I was just a wee tot and I pestered you all day. I was that annoying little sister and wouldn't leave you alone? And just when you thought the coast was clear and we were out of mom and dad's sight, you turned around and slapped me? Too bad your slap was a good one, dad heard it from across the house. And we both got spankings.

Or what about James Knott? Yeah, you were probably jealous when he gave ME the orange Tootsie Roll Pop at Chouteau instead of you. I think he only hung around you so he could really be around me - even though I was only 6.

Oh, I know! Remember when we went to Washington, D.C. the first time and you HATED having to share a room with your 13 year old sister? Yeah, as a 23 year old you were too cool for that.

And remember on that same trip when you watched me give money to the Hare Krishna's? And then told me I had given money to some cult? And then I cried? But being the nice sister you were you gave me a dollar to make me feel better? I mean, without that dollar I couldn't have bought that souvenir patriotic flag shirt to wear at the capitol on the 4th!

Remember our matching Coca-Cola gowns? We were cute.

Remember when we drove cross country to visit the Welch clan and you and Benny sang "Head to Toe" loud and proud while touching my head and toes at every mention of the words? I still hate that song.

Remember when you moved to Baltimore and for graduation you flew me up to stay with you?

Remember we recreated our Washington, D.C. trip and liked each other that time? And we went to Ford's theater and thought we were going to get kicked out because we kept reenacting the sound of the gunshot?

Remember when you taught me how to make muenster chicken and revealed to me that mom had been making it out to be more difficult than it really is? And we laughed until we cried because she had tricked us all of those years?

Remember when you found that pregnancy test in my car? That was a shocker, huh?

Remember when we turned a corner and stopped being sisters and started being best friends?

Oh, Sister, I love you. I could play the "Remember when" game all day long. I wish you were still here so we could celebrate your 37th birthday. I would cook that easy-peasy muenster chicken for you and I'd have your favorite cinnamon streusel cake ready for dessert. Today, when I feel myself getting sad and the tears well up in my eyes, I'll think of all the wonderful memories and I'll hold them extra close to my heart. I love you, dear Sister.

~ Cari

4 comments:

Amber said...

Such a sweet post of great memories. I'm so glad you let's us in on some of the fun memories you had with your big sis!

Pleasant Living said...

very thoughtful post. I am so sorry for your loss. It never gets easier, does it? May God surround you with His peace today.

Whitney said...

Oh this is sad. :( But sweet. :)

Blaze Girl said...

Shared some tears with you, Cari my friend.